ANSI/NCSL Z540.3-2006 (R2013)
The objective of this National Standard is to establish the technical requirements for the calibration of measuring and test equipment. This is done through the use of a system of functional components. Collectively, these components are used to manage and assure that the accuracy and reliability of the measuring and test equipment are in accordance with identified performance requirements.
In implementing its objective, this National Standard describes the technical requirements for establishing and maintaining:
- the acceptability of the performance of measuring and test equipment;
- the suitability of a calibration for its intended application;
- the compatibility of measurements with the National Measurement System; and
- the traceability of measurement results to the International System of Units (SI).
In the development of this National Standard attention has been given to:
- expressing the technical requirements for a calibration system supporting both government and industry needs;
- applying best practices and experience with related national, international, industry, and government standards; and
- balancing the needs and interests of all stakeholders.
In addition, this National Standard includes and updates the relevant calibration system requirements for measuring and test equipment described by the previous standards, Part II of ANSI/NCSL Z540.1 (R2002) and Military Standard 45662A.
This National Standard is written for both Supplier and Customer, each term being interpreted in the broadest sense. The “Supplier” may be a producer, distributor, vendor, or a provider of a product, service, or information. The “Customer” may be a consumer, client, end-user, retailer, or purchaser that receives a product or service.
Reference to this National Standard may be made by:
- customers when specifying products (including services) required;
- suppliers when specifying products offered;
- legislative or regulatory bodies;
- agencies or organizations as a contractual condition for procurement; and
- assessment organizations in the audit, certification, and other evaluations of calibration systems and their components.
This National Standard is specific to calibration systems. A calibration system operating in full compliance with this National Standard promotes confidence and facilitates management of the risks associated with measurements, tests, and calibrations.