Joe D. Simmons Memorial Scholarship Eligibility
The scholarship is open to students of any degree program (associate through doctorate) the emphasis of which is either measurement science or the application of metrology to quality in manufacturing, but preferably the former. Applications are weighted somewhat to favor students seeking lower degrees.
Ethnic origin, gender, race and religion are not factors in determining the recipient; financial status is used only as a tie-breaker. The scholarship is given solely on the basis of academic achievement and potential.
There are academic achievement requirements:
—for matriculated students: 3.5/4.0 in major courses, and 3.0 overall.
—for entering students: an 'A' average in high-school science and math courses and a 'B+' average overall, with very strong faculty endorsement.
The award is administered by the school of the recipient and can be used to cover tuition, fees, books, and incidental academic expenses for the winning scholar. It may not be used for living expenses, i.e. lodging, meals, etc.
To Apply for the Joe D. Simmons Memorial Scholarship:
In order to apply, a student must submit:
- a completed application form;
- a list of courses taken and planned to be taken in pursuit of a degree (Associate, Bachelor, Master, etc.);
- an endorsement from one or more of the school faculty teaching metrology or quality-related subjects, or a high-school science or math teacher;
- a transcript of grades in all courses to date; and
- an essay indicating metrology and quality concepts learned and applied in academic or work settings, and describing the student’s career aspirations.
The essay need not be overly lengthy.
The material must be received by the Committee by March 1, of the year of award in order to receive consideration!!